The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The News, July 22, 2019
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:57 pm 

The July 22, 2019 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge intersects with real Americans!

Middletown, Moonbeam!
The next CtC Seminar will be in New York's beautiful Hudson Valley, Saturday, August 3!
Get more info here, and get your RSVPs in EARLY, please!!

By the way, I want to emphasize the importance of RSVPing if you wish to attend an event!!!

Debunking The '1870s Income Tax Repeal' Myth
'Cause one dab of poo on a plate spoils the whole meal...

I WAS SKIMMING THROUGH a History of the Tax Court the other day. My initial expectations for the very scholarly-appearing, 953-page work were for a good, informative and entertaining read.

After all, the curb appeal was high. I learned from the forward that the study was commissioned (and paid for with your tax dollars) in the 1970s by C. Moxley Featherston, Chief Judge of the Tax Court, and authored by Albany Law School professor Harold Dubroff (with the assistance of several Tax Court judges and a number of the professor's former students). The writing spanned three long years, being completed in 1977.

But the face cred doesn't stop there!

Dubroff's work was then updated over another three years of labor between 2010 and 2013 for a revised Second Edition (at the cost of another tax-funded grant) by Washington and Lee University School of Law Professor Brant Hellwig. It appeared clear that this was work of some serious pros, unstinting in their efforts.

And I was impressed when I began the read. Until page 14, that is.

That's when I encountered the inexcusable declaration (complete with a supposedly-supporting statutory citation, no less!) that "[t]he income tax of the Civil War period was repealed effective 1872":

Continued...

Calling Things By Their True Names
"When words lose their meanings, people lose their liberties."
-Confucius

RECENT EVENTS, BOTH DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL, have served as reminders of the importance of calling things by their true and proper names. The practice of doing otherwise is that of dissemblers-- that is, people who mean to conceal, confuse, and exploit.

Domestically, we have the little fabricated kerfuffle over Donald Trump's recent tweet-upchucks as a great example. Adversaries of Trump claim that his tweets are directed at Ilhan Omar, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Rashida Tlaib and Ayanna Pressley (although none of these people are mentioned by Trump).

This claim as to Trump's targets then sets the stage for an accusation of "racism" (because his alleged targets are all "people of color"). But that accusation is false.

"Racism" is a disdain or dislike of a person or persons purely because of some immutable physical characteristics which have nothing to do with how that person or persons behave. As such, it is mindless, heinous, and indefensible and thus a wonderful weapon, if the charge is appropriate and can be made to stick.

Here, it is not appropriate. The charge of "racism" here is a venal effort to conceal, confuse and exploit, because "racism" is manifestly not on display from Trump in the tweets involved in this matter.

Continued...

Something Is Missing From The Immigration Debate
...or so it seems to me...

WHILE WE'RE ON THE SUBJECT of "things in the news" (as in the "True Names" article above), I have another complaint to air. This one concerns the "immigration" and border control debate.

I was listening to a radio news summary the other day in which, among other things, the immigration issue was discussed in some fashion or another. I found myself struck by a thought: Why don't we ever hear in these debates about immigration any straight-up discussion of WHY anyone would want more immigrants in America?

I mean, aren't we already pretty overstuffed? 330 million (or more) already here is PLENTY + TOO MANY. But I don't ever hear this point raised.

Continued...

Other Voices: 'The Death of Privacy'
An important commentary with an equally important afterword on the fascinating truth about the Fourth Amendment.

Continued...

And, of course, as always:
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!