The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:43 pm 

As I was considering a useful introduction here on the Forum, I thought of an idea...
In Idaho, we CtC folks are thin on the ground, and there is a lot of ground to cover. However, there is only one State Capitol...
I would like to suggest a day of 'coordinated outreach' at the State Capitols of the Union States which have enacted income tax Statutes. Once a year, maybe more often, we 'stakeholders' in the effort to awaken Americans to the truth we now know, would gather at our respective State Capitols, having requested meetings with elected officials, tax commission executives, and the local media. Our efforts would be educational, respectful, and dignified, as we would be representing citizens' interests to our representatives in the political system.
Our simple message would be that: "the law plainly states the purpose and character of the income tax. We request that our representatives confirm that indeed, State and Federal income taxes only apply to a limited scope of earnings, and that of a privileged character, which most Americans have not and do not earn." - or some such distillation of the CtC principles we have all 'grokked' at some point. Having appropriate 'handbills' and other educational materials available to distribute seems an obvious compliment to 'just showing up'.
While in Idaho I might expect ten CtC warriors to make the trek, more densely populated states might see hundreds of warriors 'toe the line' at their Capitol Buildings. 'Newsworthy' surely describes such a gathering, right?
I open the floor...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:50 pm 

Great idea, Eric, with one caveat: replace the word "confirm" iin what is being asked of state officials with "recognize" or "acknowledge". We don't need their confirmation. We've read the law ourselves. We just require their respect for what we already know to be true.

That said, again, GREAT IDEA!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:47 pm 

Here in Kalifornia the FTB is so lawless and mafia-like we might be putting our lives in peril.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 pm 

Greg: Obviously: safety first! But, there are many victories in CA, if the Bulletin Board is any indication. Also, such a populous State! Potential for big crowds... and who would 'counter protest' you? Militant CPAs and tax pros? ;)

Pete: It took me a few readings and some reflection to come to agreement with you. It seems a tiny 'choice' of words, but we all know what a politician can do with a few, tiny words...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:20 pm 

To All: There is no reason to confine such an 'outreach effort' to just the States with State income tax provisions. That was silly of me! Having CtC warriors show up at EVERY State Capitol would be the obvious goal. Much more benign, and publicly acceptable, to address the Legislatures than to address our grievances to say, the IRS offices in the capitol cities. Better 'optics' at the least, and most State capitols are designed to accommodate crowds of pedestrians, whereas most IRS offices (probably) are not so designed.

2 1/2 months till tax day...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:14 pm 

A 'small' update...
I have secured a public exposition spot in the Idaho State Capitol Building for March 26th, 7am to 7pm.
Now, what am I gonna do with it??

My initial thoughts run to: Free-standing 'A Boards' or easels with large (36"X24") printed posters. Background on tax law, going back to 1862
A copy of the original income tax signature page
Brushaber, in all it's glory
And some 'observations' about the differences between private-sector earnings and those earnings gained as the result of exercising Federal privilege...

Some appropriate 'Old Glory' buntings, or similar,...

What else?

All told, I'll probably have space for 5-10 'A boards', but would ideally make half of them big font, high impact quotes such as from Brushaber, Hoeper v. Tax Comm'n of Wis., Stanton v. Baltic Mining Co., etc. Also, I will pilfer some handbill files from Pete, to have available.
I believe the display area is in the central rotunda on the same floor as the entrance to the offices of the Reps and Senators. Not sure how much public traffic it will get, but there are daily tours of the Capitol Building to consider.

Important!: the reason for getting the ressie in March is because the Legislature of Idaho is usually 'done and gone' by end of March. It was suggested to me by the nice lady that 'guards the gates' of the building that a late March date would be preferable. I might even get to keep the display up for multiple days, if the Speaker and Pres. Pro Tem approve my request for same.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:14 pm 

Quote:
A 'small' update...
I have secured a public exposition spot in the Idaho State Capitol Building for March 26th, 7am to 7pm.
Now, what am I gonna do with it??

Makes me wish I lived in Idaho so I could help out. Oh yeah, and that I didn't have to work on that Tuesday. Keep us posted with the results. I wish you could post pics (and files, btw) on here too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:28 am 

Thanks Jeremy. I too would feel the 'pull' to help out, in other states.

I've decided on the easels and large 'posters'. I've also begun work on a 'Joint Resolution' that might be modified for each State Legislature. I will post it here, as soon as I can. Then, I will hope to modify it, based on input from the community.

Tomorrow, I go to present my 'Tax Board' appeal. I will update the results of that presentation, under the " Anyone going to Court" thread.

This is the year. We are GOING to bring this issue into the public awareness, THIS YEAR.