The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The News, June 15, 2020
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:01 pm 

The June 15, 2020 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

Hey, People!! It's less than three weeks 'til the 13th (and very possibly final) Declaration Day Party, July 4, 2020!!
Get Your RSVPs in, NOW!!

And, HEY, II! Please don't just read what I post here (or anywhere), and nod your head sagely or approvingly and then move on to other things. I don't post in order to affirm your sense of things. I post in order to equip you with perspectives and arguments with which to educate others, and in the expectation that you will forward my posts to other people (or direct them to those posts). PLEASE do those things.

We won't win by YOU knowing what I present. We will win by LOTS OF OTHERS knowing what I present.

How Stupid Do They Think We Are?
Pretty stupid, indeed, it would seem, as the C19 panic-mongering begins anew...

HERE IS THE QUESTION OF THE MONTH (because its aptness will not fade until at least July...): How stupid do the stenographers-for-the-state at Associated Press and the other MSM outlets think we are?

This past Friday, every such outlet featured one or another version of, "Alarming rise in virus cases as states roll back lockdowns" (for instance, this). Are we supposed to be so stupid as to not realize that a rise in the number of "cases" just reflects a rise in testing?

Are we supposed to have forgotten that millions of Americans were infected all the way back in January and February (as shown here), and therefore more tests will of course reveal more infections?

But more importantly, are we supposed to be so stupid as to not realize that more revealed infections in no way means more danger from the virus? Instead this "more case" revelation just emphasizes the harmlessness of the virus.

The "more case" revelation just emphasizes the fact that the virus has been circulating continuously for more than half a year now throughout huge swaths of the population. That, in turn, underscores the fact that despite continuous circulation throughout huge swaths of the population the virus has only produced a fatality rate on the low end of typical for the standard flu-- if even that-- and from the same demographic that would have been succumbing to this year's standard flu anyway, if not one of the many other co-morbidities with which most were afflicted.

Continued...

Some Follow-Up On The George Floyd Story
...in the interest of keeping the activism on point.

I'VE BEEN DISTURBED TO SEE much of the punditry and social media dialogue regarding the Floyd murder morph into a "racism" complaint/discussion. I suspect that such punditry and dialogue-steering is a deliberate effort to divert attention from the real issue, which, as I said last week, is the institutionalized unaccountability of government actors.

This is not to say that there is no racism rearing its ugly head now and then in police departments and elsewhere. Surely, there is.

But the real issue in George Floyd's murder is that even though indefensible in any rational mind, and even though having been committed in broad daylight, in front of many witnesses, and even caught on film, everyone knows that the odds of the smiling and casual killer and his loitering accomplices getting thrown in prison for a long, long time, are minimal, at best. And everyone who thinks about it knows that this is NOT because George Floyd was black, but is because a judicially-invented concept called "official immunity" (in most discussions referred to as "qualified immunity" as regards the actions of police) will be raised to shield Floyd's killers from accountability.

It is that perfectly-predictable injustice that is driving the outrage of the arisen community (or was to begin with, until the arising and the anger driving it was co-opted by narrative-managers and opportunists).

And it is that perfectly-predictable injustice on which the ongoing punditry, dialoguing and activism should focus.

OVER THE COURSE OF THE LAST TEN YEARS, the institutionalized-unaccountability which protestors expect to see in the Floyd case has been pulled more and more into the light of day by similar incidents of largely-similar egregiousness. Indeed, the commonplace character of the anger-inducing unaccountability is pointedly demonstrated by the casualness with which Derek Chauvin and his accomplices acted.

There doesn't appear to have been a moment's concern on the part of any of these perps about perhaps going too far, save only one brief expression by one of the cops looking on, quickly abandoned. This kind of behavior doesn't manifest except where the actors have not the slightest reason for caution grounded in their past experience and their institutionally-imbued expectations.

In fact, I think it is the utterness and obviousness of Derek Chauvin's manifest certainty that no repercussions threaten him personally for his behavior that made this particular police killing the offense that prompted a nation-wide protest where previous equally-indefensible "official" crimes have not. Unlike in those other ugly crimes, the evil specter of "immunity" boldly unveiled itself in Minneapolis.

Chauvin as much as mouths to the horrified onlookers, "Watch me all you want, shout at me all you want. I'm going to do as I please and not give it a second thought. I'm untouchable." The three uniformed police officers who stand by without intervening emphasize the soundness of Chauvin's perspective.

Who can be surprised that protests erupted? It would have been shocking and deeply disturbing had they not.

Indeed, every American should be proud and delighted that a notably-sized cadre of their fellows arose to condemn the outrage of "immunity" informing Derek Chauvin's casual crime.

Continued...

A Good Man Urges Americans To Put On Their Big Boy And Big Girl Pants
Forrest Voss in Texas tells it like it is, and everyone should pay heed.

TEXAS WARRIOR FORREST VOSS included me in the distribution of his reach-out-and-grab-by-the-lapels effort, below. I'm very pleased to be able to share it with all of you, in hope that it will inspire more of the same.

Long or short, eloquent or simple, it doesn't matter-- what matters is getting the stuff out there. Here's how Forrest did that for his part (under the subject line, "I have had enough!", and with The Texas Liberty And Accountability Key attached):

Quote:
To my esteemed family, friends, colleagues, acquaintances, representatives in congress, media moguls, and whomever else I can think of to send this to:

Enough is enough! The lunacy taking over this country and the world is absolutely astounding. It is time to grow up and start using our God given brains for more than hat racks. It is time to start using some Common Sense and Common Courtesy, two very rare commodities these days, which, if brought back in good measure would fix a lot of problems the world is dealing with right now I will try to keep this as short as possible, so here are the bullet points:

Continued...

Other Voices
Under Four Presidents, The Feds Neglected Duty To Collect Statistics On Police Killings
Why has the Justice Department (sic) failed to follow a law from 1994?

SOME GREAT JOURNALISM by James Bovard, with a very important afterword by Yours Truly. Don't miss any of this, friends. We are not in a time suited to surfing-- this is a time calling for serious intake, serious resolution and serious follow-through.

Read carefully, share widely, and stand tall.

Continued...

And, of course, as always:
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899