The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:14 pm 

The September 7, 2020 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

HEY, People! Please don't just read what I post here (or anywhere), and nod your head sagely or approvingly and then move on to other things. I don't post in order to affirm your sense of things. I post in order to equip you with perspectives and arguments with which to educate others, and in the expectation that you will forward my posts to other people (or direct them to those posts). PLEASE do those things.

We won't win by YOU knowing what I present. We will win by LOTS OF OTHERS knowing what I present.

Fear Is The Mind-Killer
The challenge is to muster the courage to push past the Hallowe'en chorus and recognize this truth.

FRANK HERBERT COINED THE TITLE of this observation in his epic novel Dune, a sweeping tale of deeply-entrenched institutional corruption being met and overwhelmed by an insurgency armed with religious-grade confidence in the rightness of its cause. Herbert's formulation nicely encapsulates fear's super-power: Like a well-evolved parasite, fear, by supplanting cognition and objectivity, creates the very conditions under which it is most difficult for the victim to fight back against its influence.

This is not to say that fear and its mindless responses are always a bad thing. If the threat is such that simply running away as fast as possible is the optimal response, fear is your friend. It'll make you run hard and long. Sometimes fear will prompt the "fight" reflex, instead, and this can also be the best response.

But whichever is chosen, "fight or flight" are generally the best responses only to overt and immediate physical threats. Pretty much every other kind of threat calls for thoughtful analysis of the real source and true nature of the danger, and thoughtful formulation of the optimal response.
In other words, for everything other than an immediate physical threat, the mindlessness induced by fear is the worst thing that can happen-- for individuals.

ON THE OTHER HAND, GOVERNMENTS LOVE the mindlessness of fear. By preventing thoughtful consideration of the situation, and inducing instead a panicky casting-about for protection or escape from the perceived threat, fear makes individuals prone to surrendering their own decision-making to that of any confident demagogue who promises protection.

In fact, fear and the mindlessness it induces is so useful to governments that it is a routine practice of those running and benefiting from state power to regularly menace the people with alleged threats to their safety and well-being, in the certain knowledge that many, perhaps most, of the people will respond by surrendering more power from their own sovereign hands into the hands of the state's operators, who can then use that power for their own interests and benefit.

H.L. Mencken summarized this sordid dynamic concisely: “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Over the course of long experience, the political class and its apparatchiks have learned, as well, that maintaining the surrender-inducing panic for a certain amount of time will make the transfer of power it encourages nearly impossible to reverse, due to acclimation, fading memories of the past paradigm, and the arising of influential commercial and institutional beneficiaries of the "new normal".

Continued...

The Sublime Harmonies Of Social Justice In The Upcoming Worker's Paradise
(A Laborious Mental Exercise)

Imagine that you’re a homeowner and over the years you’ve had some landscaping done to your property: a few decorative trees planted, a stone wall built, a flagstone path installed, etc.. All the work has been done by what had been your favorite contractor, Joe’s Landscaping Service.

Joe and his guys have done good work, for the most part, but as time has passed, Joe has been a bit reluctant to invest in new equipment, so his speed has gone down, and his hourly rate has been inching up at the same time. You’ve brought this to Joe’s attention more than once, but he’s just shrugged and said, "Hey, a guy’s gotta make a living. But I’ll try to get the boys to move a little faster."

Continued...

Notes Regarding Union State Income Tax Structures
...a new Site Map "Legal Resources" addition.

Not Letting This "Crisis" Go To Waste...
...an important action item opportunity.

FRIENDS, THE SPORADIC BITS OF EASING of the despotic measures to which most of the country has been subjected this year should not be allowed to bleed off the head of steam you probably had been developing. The offenses happened, and they're far from over. Stay hot.

And while you are all warmed up, and while others, if they're smart, are just as hot, I'd like you to send an email (and Facebook post, or whatever) with the following content to everyone you can (with a request that they pass it along, in turn):

Quote:
[Name], over the last several months you've watched as over-fed state power has been used to literally destroy classical Western civilization and impose a new despotic paradigm. No dissent or debate permitted-- no permission or agreement sought.

YOU KNOW where this will end up if the arrogant state power being used to make this happen isn't radically diminished in size, influence, resources and popular support, and exposed as an opportunistic exploiter of legal ignorance (an ignorance which it has been nurturing in the average mind for decades).

Those things having not yet happened, you should be quaking in your boots-- and you probably are.

Isn't it time-- and past time-- for you to begin helping to make those desperately-needed defensive changes take place? There is only one way these things can happen short of a who-knows-what we'll-end-up-with explosion of violence. I'm going to show it to you.

Read this little two-page document. Click on the links at the end.

When you're done with that reading, you'll know what to do next.

Continued...

Are You Ready For The "No One Could Have Known" Routine?
Great writing and cogen observations by Thomas Harrington, with a very important afterword by Yours Truly.

Don't miss any of this, friends. We are not in a time suited to surfing-- this is a time calling for serious intake, serious resolution and serious follow-through.

Read carefully, share widely, and stand tall.

Continued...

And, of course, as always:
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899