The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:35 pm 

The October 5, 2020 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

HEY, People! Please don't just read what I post here (or anywhere), and nod your head sagely or approvingly and then move on to other things. I don't post in order to affirm your sense of things. I post in order to equip you with perspectives and arguments with which to educate others, and in the expectation that you will forward my posts to other people (or direct them to those posts). PLEASE do those things.

We won't win by YOU knowing what I present. We will win by LOTS OF OTHERS knowing what I present.

The Big Con
A few words about the most rewarding lie ever told by a corrupt and well-connected cabal.

BY DESIGN, THE INCOME TAX IS AN EXCISE laid exclusively on the use of federal property or prerogatives (privileges) to make private profits. The tax compels a return to the public purse of a portion of those private benefits, with the amount of tax due measured by the dollar value of the profits produced.

"The income tax... ...is an excise tax with respect to certain activities and privileges which is measured by reference to the income which they produce. The income is not the subject of the tax; it is the basis for determining the amount of tax.”

Treasury Department legislative draftsman F. Morse Hubbard in testimony to Congress in 1943

The benign and enlightened principle of the income tax made it widely popular when it was widely understood. Indeed, the American people actually amended the federal Constitution in 1913 to allow the resumption of the tax after the Supreme Court erected a road-block to its administration in 1895.

That judicial road-block had been put in place at the urging of the public-resources profiteers by a court filled during a period in which much of the federal government was under the influence of corrupt national railroad interests and their bought members of Congress, all of whom were among the targets of the tax. (See background on that interesting story here.)

Those profiteers were faced with a populist Cleveland administration determined to check or mitigate the inherent corruption involved in their public-resource exploitation and balance the books, so to speak, by recapturing some of the pelf.

Obviously, the threatened diminishment of private profits was less than pleasing to those subject to the tax. But just as obviously, those well-enough connected with the halls of power to be using public stuff to make private benefits are also, by the same token, well-enough connected to influence public policy, and in 1895, the Supreme Court came to the profiteers' rescue.

The people were not pleased, however, and the push toward overruling the court promptly got under way. In 1913, the adoption of the 16th Amendment deep-sixed the Supreme Court's corrupt 1895 judicial dodge (in which the mechanism by which profits were realized-- characterized as their "source"-- was used to treat any associated tax as a property tax).

As a later Supreme Court put it in analyzing the purpose and effect of the amendment:

"[T]he provisions of the Sixteenth Amendment conferred no new power of taxation, but simply prohibited the previous complete and plenary power of income taxation possessed by Congress from the beginning from being taken out of the category of indirect taxation to which it inherently belonged, and being placed in the category of direct taxation subject to apportionment by a consideration of the sources from which the income was derived -- that is, by testing the tax not by what it was, a tax on income, but by a mistaken theory deduced from the origin or source of the income taxed.”

Stanton v. Baltic Mining Co., 240 U.S. 103 (1916)

Now the American people were pleased, but the well-connected profiteers were not. Plan A having been thwarted, the profiteers turned to Plan B, the Big Con.

Continued...

Regarding Last Week's "Presidential Debate", South Park Pandemic Special, And Outstanding Ruling By The Michigan Supreme Court
I made it about halfway through the first before turning it off in disgust... The other two things are a different story.

The Debate

ANYBODY WATCH THAT NATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT called a "presidential debate" the other night? You should be interested in this video. It offers a few words from the other party and candidates on every ballot across the country-- the one which the Democan and Republicrat management didn't dare have on stage with Trump and Biden.

Continued...

The Pandemic Special

ALSO LAST WEEK WE HAD a little treat from Trey Parker and Matt Stone: The South Park Pandemic Special'. I hope everyone had a chance to see it, and if you did not, hunt it down! (WARNING: if you're not familiar with South Park, be ready for extreme vulgarity.)

Parker and Stone do good work here. Not the death of a thousand cuts I'd have liked even more, but a good skewering of the C19 insanity nonetheless.

SPOILER ALERT: My one critique of the story is in the not-quite-fair portrayal of Trump as the guy burying evidence of the truth and solutions to the paralyzing misconceptions of the affair by which the state has seized power. I'm no fan of Trump, and he hasn't done much to remedy that sort of corruption, but really, it has been state governors and those standing to gain financially and philosophically from the panic that are the culprits in despotically wreaking destruction on people's lives and liberties and flogging the false narratives keeping this hobgoblin alive.

Continued...

The Supreme Court Ruling

LAST WEEK ENDED ON A REAL HIGH NOTE with the Michigan Supreme Court issuing an opinion in response to a certified question from a federal court upholding the position of the Michigan Liberty Key (and of all the other state Liberty Keys found in the same post, btw). The court ruled unanimously that all "executive orders" of Governor Gretchen Whitmer issued since April 30 are void, and by a majority that the Emergency Powers of Governor Act of 1945, under the purported auspices of which all those orders had been issued, is unconstitutional-- for exactly the reasons given in the Liberty Key.

The only thing marring this overall outstanding outcome is purely cosmetic; it is the despicable partisan corruption of three Democrat members of the court who somehow insist that the language of Article IV, § 1 and Article III, § 2 of the Michigan Constitution: "[T]the legislative power of the State of Michigan is vested in a senate and a house of representatives" and, "No person exercising powers of one branch shall exercise powers properly belonging to another branch", doesn't mean what it plainly says.

I hope the people of Michigan get the message here: Your businesses and livelihoods and well-being and dignity have all been destroyed this year by a bunch of ILLEGAL ORDERS from Gretchen Whitmer and Co. The same is true across the country-- different villains, but the same offenses.

Everyone harmed by these illegal orders-- as described above, and through the loss of loved ones to suicide and alcoholism and other pathologies attendant upon isolation and oppression-- should be storming the statehouses, figuratively, if not literally.

Continued...

Let's Have A Show Of Hands...
It's time for a pop quiz!!

I'M KIDDING ABOUT THE POP QUIZ (but those wanting to try their hand can find the Quiz Page here). I'm serious about the "show of hands" thing, though.

What I want to know is how many of you actually did something with the information I shared with you in the 'Shame The Devil' article in last Monday's Mid-Edition Update. I hope it's quite a few of you, but I'd like to know either way.

I worry that folks are not understanding that it is the fiction of "massive fatalities from C19" that is perpetuating the ongoing erosion of our liberties, our livelihoods, and our rule of law. It is purely because lots of Americans believe that C19 has killed 200,000+ of their fellows (and could get them, or their loved ones next, anytime) that masks and "social distancing" and denial of access to institutions and offices, and suppression of political gatherings, and all the other tyrannies and ruinations great and small are being tolerated and even defended by the fearful.

Thus, the singular solution to all the destruction is the widespread distribution of the fact that C19 has NOT been a ravaging plague against which any measure should be accepted, at whatever cost. The proof of that is presented in that article of last week (and in greater depth in this piece, btw).

Again, if you want the madness and destruction of liberty and prosperity to stop, you MUST show people that they are being scammed by the panic-mongers. Nothing else will do it.

Continued...

Will The Pandemic Panic Card Win In 2020?
Great writing and cogent observations by Jim Bovard, with a very important afterword by Yours Truly.

DON'T MISS ANY OF THIS, friends. We are not in a time suited to surfing-- this is a time calling for serious intake, serious resolution and serious follow-through.

Read carefully, share widely, and stand tall.

Continued...

And, of course, as always:
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899