The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 3:02 pm 

Ha Ha...

But seriously: what is the actual history of Capone's conviction for tax evasion? Is there any 'ammunition' for our cause in the history of that prosecution and trial? Had the collective American understanding of income taxes already been demolished by the early 1930s? If so, then by what means was this accomplished? The graphic Pete has posted, showing percentage of Americans who even filed tax returns, does not begin it's inexorable march higher until the early 40s, if my memory serves...

Was Capone convicted properly, for not paying income taxes on taxable privileges or profits from investments in Federal or State corporations? If not, then was he wrongfully convicted? Was there an Appeal of that conviction?

It is not within my means at present, to do the research on the questions I'm here asking. I'm asking them in hopes someone else can easily answer them, or that the asking will cause interest in the subject, and answers will be forthcoming. Did Capone's attorneys make a defense using arguments we would recognize today as 'CtC educated"?

There may be other cases which would yield similar 'ammunition' either as bad Judgements, or in terms of the name-recognition of the participants, that might assist our public efforts to rouse our brethren in the marketplace. We all know that certain names cast a 'chill' over any conversation about income taxes: Schiff, Snipes, etc.... Can we find names that penetrate the chill?

Thank for reading.