The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:44 pm 

The February 1, 2021 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

Friend, please don't just read what I post here (or anywhere), and nod your head sagely or approvingly and then move on to other things. I don't post in order to affirm your sense of things. I post in order to equip you with perspectives and arguments with which to educate others, and in the expectation that you will forward my posts to other people (or direct them to those posts). PLEASE do those things.

We won't win by YOU knowing what I present. We will win by LOTS OF OTHERS knowing what I present.

A Truly Remarkable And Very Important Document From Six State Attorneys General
...by which a line is drawn in the sand and much uplift of spirit and toughening of resolve is delivered.

A FEW DAYS AGO THE EXCELLENT Adolfo Montero forwarded to me a letter signed by the Attorneys General of West Virginia, Arkansas, Indiana, Mississippi, Montana and Texas and addressed to Joe Biden. I was pretty astonished at what I read.

The five-page letter amounts to a line-in-the-sand declaration by these state officials of their intention to exercise both their options of lawsuit and their options of nullification in the face of overreach by the Biden administration. More particularly (and gratifyingly), this line in the sand actually yanks the Constitutional chain hard, setting boundaries of actual delegated power limits, which are far more stringent and circumscribed than have been honored by denizens of Washington, DC for many, many years.

These six state's Attorneys General aren't just telling Biden to stick within the scope of executive power and centralized governance practiced by Trump, or Obama, or Bush or Clinton. What they are saying is a whole lot closer to, "Stick within the scope recognized by Thomas Jefferson or Grover Cleveland" (or, at least, Eisenhower or Kennedy).

And they say it well. Indeed, the remarkable demeanor of the letter by the Attorneys General is matched in noteworthiness by the letter's sharp, bright, articulate and accurate presentation of the Constitutional structure within which the office of President is exercised, and by which it is strictly limited.

There are some things left unsaid in the letter which should have been addressed-- particularly matters concerning speech and privacy rights. The letter does focus on freedom of religion and the Second Amendment, but passes over the rest of the lately much-tattered Bill of Rights. And a bit too much acceptance of congressional abdication to administrative agency usurpation of legislative and judicial authority is on display (albeit while urging Biden to hold agencies firmly to the supposedly-mitigating requirements of the Administrative Procedure Act).

But as a Constitutional scholar and longtime activist on behalf of the rule of law, I am accustomed to much frustration with documents of this sort and harbor generally low expectations of both the knowledge and the fidelity of people in political office in regard to the law at any level. In this case, even taking into account the caveats just mentioned, I found the Attorneys Genderals' letter a genuine pleasure to read.

You will enjoy it, too. Read the letter here.

ALL OF THE POSITIVE OBSERVATIONS ABOVE NOTWITHSTANDING, several cautions must accompany this letter...

Continued...

A Low-Hanging-Fruit Salad
Brief comments about a selection of current events and topics of immediate importance, in no particular order.

Immigration

I HAVE ALWAYS APPRECIATED George Will's dry wit and general erudition, and at one time often agreed with his opinions. Sadly, though, four years ago Will fell prey to Trump Derangement Syndrome in a big way and has now become a reactionary Biden apologist (probably helped down that path by the fact that for the last seven years he's been answering to Jeff Bezos).

One recent expression of Will's unfortunate clockwork-orange realignment is a January 22 column in favor of more-or-less open borders and mass amnesty for the 11 million+ people who defied our existing laws and either entered the country illegally in the first place or violated the terms of their visas and remained here illegally. Will's argument boils down to this: We've allowed lots of immigration in the past, and look how great things have turned out; and besides, because of our declining birth rate and aging population, we need more young workers on hand to be taxed in order meet Social Security and Medicare commitments.

January 6 at the Capitol

I AM SICK TO DEATH of seeing and hearing the term "storming" in regard to the events at the Capitol during the Electoral College proceedings. Likewise "insurrection" and even "riot" (and I am especially sick of seeing and hearing these terms from what are supposed to be grown-up conservatives or even Libertarians, who I suspect are using them out of fear of seeming insufficient in their appearances of condemnation and denunciation and at risk of drawing frowns from Democrat narrative managers).

Unless a video surfaces showing a mass of invaders deploying battering rams against the doors behind which cower AOC and her terrified colleagues, at the very least, or ripping art off the walls and smashing furniture and maybe even setting a fire or two, "storming", "insurrection" and "riot" are all ridiculously hyperventilated expressions.

Find these observations and the rest in their entirety here

Covid Odyssey
“Wherefore we find our adventurer Odysseus stirring, his patience at an end. His black ship is run down to the water. He calls for mariners”
by John Griffin

This is an absolutely DON'T MISS 'Other Voice' observation and afterword.

Continued...

And, of course, as always:
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899