The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The News, May 3, 2021
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:21 pm 

The May 3, 2021 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

Have American Educators Decided To Throw Real Teaching Under The Bus?
A disturbing little exercise in reverse engineering.

HERE'S A LITTLE THOUGHT EXPERIMENT: Suppose that beginning slowly back in the 1970s many in the bureaucratic American education establishment-- teachers and administrators-- discovered that it's hard to teach actual academic material such as reading skills, math, sciences, the arts, history, civics, logic, and so forth to kids immersed in a popular culture in which academic accomplishment is increasingly disrespected-- even scorned. Similarly (these folks discovered), it's hard to teach kids from increasingly-common single-parent households-- or intact-family households in which both parents work full-time (thanks to ignorance about the income tax)-- where they are increasingly less likely to be read to, thoughtfully reasoned with, or shown by example the practices and profits of disciplined academic work.

Suppose these education bureaucrats likewise figured out that it's difficult to get students to cooperate in producing satisfactory gender and racial representation (such as in S.T.E.M. disciplines or class rankings) per the notions of political pressure groups when those students are disinclined to do so for any number of reasons (among which could be that the notions of the political pressure groups are wrong).

Suppose that instead of digging in to hoe those tough rows, these bureaucrats figured out that the easier option is to teach (and argue) that systemic racism, misogyny and other evils are built into traditional academic curricula and the overall institutional environment. The object (continues the teaching and the argument) is to thwart the achievements of underperforming or uncooperative students on behalf of the patriarchy's interests.

This selfish design of the patriarchy is such that academic underperformance or the failure of politically-desired proportional representation are entirely due to externalities. None of it (goes the narrative) is the fault of the students-- or of the teachers, of course-- nor due to flaws in the unmet politically-motivated expectations.

Continued...

Dealing With IRS Opportunism
Two important responses which are often misunderstood and overlooked.

I HEARD FOR THE FIRST TIME RECENTLY FROM someone who describes himself as a long-time student of CtC (since 2006), but who only pulled it all together and stepped onto the field in 2016 with his first educated return, followed by more every subsequent year. All of these timely returns yielded victories.

My correspondent's string of successes was good cause for celebration. But the reason for his reach-out was that upon having finally resolved to take action in 2016, he had also filed belated returns for 2003 - 2015, in regard to which he had been, until then, a non-filer.

Two things happened in response to the 13 belated filings. The good one was the prompt ending of what had become a steady monthly ding in the new warrior's military retirement on the proposition that he owed taxes for the previously unfiled years. The other, annoying response, a few years later, was a batch of "frivolous return penalties" (FRPs) for these late filings.

My correspondent's interest in writing me was in getting some feedback on his handling of these FRPs (which had already taken the matter through IRS appeals) and guidance going forward (which would be into tax court). His victories which I mentioned above only appear in what he sent to me by way of references in exchanges with the IRS. No scans were provided.

Because doing so will benefit others, I am going to respond to my correspondent by way of the remainder of this article (other than as to a few detail issues which will be communicated just between the two of us). There are two matters to address.

Continued...

On "Vaccines" And "Variants"
As usual, the bilge from the MSM and the government (but I repeat myself...) is unfit for consumption.

THERE IS LITTLE MORE NAUSEATING than the push from all co-opted quarters just recently for everyone to get the "vaccine" so we can return to normal. The baldly-stated subtext is that the "lockdown" restrictions ordered by various governors won't get lifted until everyone has submitted to the injection, so let's get going, people!

What is going unsaid by all these "Let's get back to normal" pleaders is the obvious rejoinder of "Since when does any state or federal executive branch official in this country have the rightful authority to thus autocratically interfere with the liberties of Americans?!" They flatly don't (read the WHOLE article), so shouldn't that have been the immediate heads-snapped-up response when people like Gretchen Whitmer made her presumptuous announcement last week that "permission" to resume our freedoms would be incrementally- contingent upon varying percentages of the Michigan population becoming "vaccinated"?

More, going unsaid (often due to suppression) is the fact that a huge portion of the American population is already immune due to exposure to the virus over the past 16 months, and thus herd immunity is already fully in place. This explains why those wishing to keep the panic alive for their own reasons have been pretending "cases" and fatalities from this year's seasonal flu are C19 events and making ridiculous assertions for why flu is going unreported.

See the assertions here, in which, among other things, it is argued that the same mitigation measures seeming to fail as to C19 are somehow keeping the flu at bay. Another is that this year's flu vaccine-- adoption rates of which are not actually known, btw-- is somehow vastly more effective than any version has ever been before.

Continued...

Other Voices (followed by an important afterword)
The Political Economy Of Fear
by Robert Higgs

[S]ince love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved.
— Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince, 1513

All animals experience fear—human beings, perhaps, most of all. Any animal incapable of fear would have been hard pressed to survive, regardless of its size, speed, or other attributes. Fear alerts us to dangers that threaten our well-being and sometimes our very lives. Sensing fear, we respond by running away, by hiding, or by preparing to ward off the danger.

To disregard fear is to place ourselves in possibly mortal jeopardy. Even the man who acts heroically on the battlefield, if he is honest, admits that he is scared. To tell people not to be afraid is to give them advice that they cannot take. Our evolved physiological makeup disposes us to fear all sorts of actual and potential threats, even those that exist only in our imagination.

Continued...

Plus,
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899

Please don't leave me just preaching to the choir!
We both want to restore liberty and the rule of law in our lifetime, so share, share, share!