The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The News, June 20, 2022
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm 

The June 20, 2022 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

Some Key Facts About "Fossil Fuels"; News Of A Miracle Medical Treatment...
...and a serious call to action on behalf of the heroic, hugely-important Julian Assange.

About Oil-- A High-Utility Renewable Energy Resource

I WONDER, DOES EVERYBODY REALIZE that oil is a renewable resource? Despite the childish association of oil with dinosaurs (dinosaur juice, right?), oil is a product of any and all organic material that has simply been processed by heat and pressure for a sufficient amount of time. Every day in the present another ancient day's contribution of organic material crosses the threshold into oil, constantly renewing/increasing the supply.

Further, oil is a product of-- indeed, a concentration of-- solar power. It is by solar energy that the organics which become oil are generated and sustained in the first place. By the same token, when those products of past solar energy accumulation are consumed by the burning of the oil they have become, the carbon that is released (as carbon dioxide) contributes to the production of more organic material, by way of the plants it feeds and the animals that feed on those plants.

I claim no expertise in regard to these matters, and I'm sure that my little sketch above is very much overly simplistic in the eyes of anyone who can claim such expertise. Disputes or corrections from such experts are welcome.

But I think my summary is essentially correct, and that in this time of frothy and ruinous political assault on our long-standing, well-established and reliable existing energy infrastructure these facts need to be firmly in the minds of anyone involved in energy (and environmental) policy (which should be all of us)...

Sharing Good Words About What I Will Unabashedly Call A Medical Miracle

BACK IN MARCH of this year, I took several weeks off from writing this newsletter while I recovered from a medical procedure. The issue was a very badly torn (inner) biceps tendon.

The tear resulted from the wear caused by decades of weight-lifting combined with the ill effect of one sloppy lift for a curl session, followed by a year of just pushing through the pain without laying off the weights long enough for any healing to take place. (It likely never would have taken place no matter how much of a holiday I took, adult tendons normally having very poor blood flow and being therefore notoriously hard to heal).

When I finally faced the fact that the internet-informed physical therapy exercises I was deploying and the shoulder stabilizing braces I had begun wearing were just not doing any good last November, I went to my GP and was referred to an orthopedist. This fellow did some tests and scanned with ultrasound, ultimately announcing that the tendon was so far gone that he couldn't even find it with the scope.

I was sent for an MRI, which I had at the beginning of December. The scan revealed a 2 cm. tear in a rotator cuff ligament and confirmed the massive damage to the biceps tendon.

The recommendation by the orthopedist upon reviewing the images was that I undergo arthroscopic surgery for the rotator cuff tear and let him snip what was left of the tendon ("It won't be a total disaster... After all, you'll still have the outer tendon connecting that biceps muscle to your shoulder, right?").

I would, I was told, end up with no pain from the torn tendon and a repaired rotator cuff, but even after 6 months to a year of convalescence with my arm in a sling for a great deal of that time I would never again be able to lift more than twenty pounds overhead. And, of course, I would never be able to properly use my right biceps henceforth.

Crippled for the rest of my life, in other words-- just as has been the outcome, to a greater or lesser degree, for many people similarly injured over the years.

Continued...

Life Imitating Art...
...or something like that...

WHENEVER I THINK OF THE PATHETIC CHILDREN distorted from their natural and healthy body-mind integration into unnatural and unhealthy disintegration by monsters in the home or the social or institutional environment, resulting in "queerness" of either the conventional or (especially) the relatively-recently-added "trans" variety, a representative image comes into my head. That image is of the broken and unnaturally-reconfigured toys from the 1995 movie 'Toy Story'.

In light of the Disney Company's recently outed and directly-stated goal of being one such social monster, it is ironic that the company itself, in an earlier persona, prefigured the plague of mental disease to the spreading of which it would later deliberately aspire in a particularly memorable and well-tuned fashion.

HERE'S ANOTHER IMAGE that I think is useful for representing the pathology of "queer" disintegration-- the "woman suit" being sewn together from skin taken from the victims of Buffalo Bill in 'Silence of the Lambs':

Continued...

Other Voices (followed by an important afterword)

Going To War For Globalism
Davos elites would rather push for war with Russia than admit that the multi-polar order has arrived.
by Dominic Sansone

This year’s premier gathering of world elites, the 2022 Davos World Economic Forum, concluded May 26. Topics of discussion included the climate crisis, global epidemic concerns, continued efforts to grow the prominence of ESG investing, and looming food shortages. One issue, however, far and away dominated the entire conference: the Russo-Ukrainian war and its centrality to the future of the international system.

“This war is really a turning point of history, and it will reshape our political and our economic landscape in the coming years,” stated WEF Founder Klaus Schwab.

“[Russian President Vladimir] Putin wants a return to a world order in which strength dictates what is right—in which freedom, determination and sovereignty are not for everyone,” German leader Olaf Scholz told Davos attendees. “We cannot allow Putin to win this war.”

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s call for “maximum sanctions,” a stipend for Kyiv of at least $5 billion per month, and the total expulsion of all Russian forces from Ukrainian territory brought the crowd to its feet.

Favorite target of conservative ire George Soros issued a call to arms for the champions of an international “open society.” In order to save civilization, the world community must “mobilize all our resources” in order to “defeat Putin as soon as possible.” Even climate change would have to take a back seat to the fight against Russia.

The ongoing war in Ukraine is undoubtedly horrific, and everyone of goodwill wants to see an end to the bloodshed as soon as possible. The committed focus on defeating Putin by those at Davos, however, is about more than virtue-signaling or moral posturing. It is even about more than leveraging the crisis to accelerate their goal of usurping power from national governments in isolated fields, like energy.

Rather, the real issue at stake in Ukraine is whether the future of international relations will involve the continued expansion of a transatlantic one-world government, or complete its transition back to a system predicated on the balance of power. War in Ukraine presents the global community with its most significant inflection point of the post-Cold War era. In this instance, Schwab’s analysis is entirely correct. Putin’s invasion of his neighbor has threatened to affirm not only that the national interest still dictates world affairs, but that it can also still be secured by force.

Continued...

Plus,
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899