The Lost Horizons Forum

A meeting place for the CtC-empowered.
It is currently Tue Nov 29, 2022 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: The News, July 4, 2022
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:15 pm 

The July 4, 2022 Lost Horizons Newsletter
...where real knowledge-- and actual solutions-- intersect with real Americans!

It's Declaration Day
...and this is not mere rhetoric.

AS LONG-TIME READERS OF THESE PAGES are aware, it is my tradition at this time of the year (and often at the beginning of a new year) to post the admittedly rather oratorical observations and admonitions related to Declaration Day which follow. What I fear that too few understand is that these stirring words are not offered as entertainment. Nor are they a theatrical pose.

Similarly, these observations and admonitions that follow are not offered in order to inspire noble thoughts and day dreams with which to occupy one's mind while grilling Fourth of July burgers and dogs, or while watching firework displays.

They are, rather, meant to inspire serious recognition of unsettling truths about our current American situation and trajectory and resolute corrective action.

They are, rather, meant to remind us that those firework displays are reenactments of deadly-serious battles that had to be fought, and real sacrifices that had to be made, in order to bless this land and those fortunate enough to live in it with liberty and the rule of law, and that those blessings do not sustain themselves. Instead, those blessings must be defended and nourished and celebrated every day-- still by battles and sacrifices-- in order to preserve them in the face of constant, sophisticated attack by their enemies.

SO, ON THIS FOURTH OF JULY, whether seeing them for the first time or the twentieth, please read the words that follow with all the foregoing in mind. Recognize that right now, more than at any time in our American history, the precious and fragile gifts of liberty and the rule of law bequeathed to us at enormous expense by our noble ancestors are on the very edge of extinction, and it is right now that they must be upheld and defended, by YOU.

Recognize, too, that mere political action-- always the easy pretended solution-- will not suffice. As Josef Stalin reportedly remarked while fastening in place his iron tyranny of a Russian people misled into complacency and cooperation by faith in their ideological exceptionalism and the virtues of their institutions, "I don't care who votes, as long as I get to count the votes."*

Today's American version of incipient fascism has that same sly smirk about voting now in the mix, but also strong streaks of it's close cousin, "I don't care who gets to write the laws, as long as I get to decide what they mean and how to enforce them," coupled with an unprecedented and perilous control of public perception and dialogue by those same enemies of our American heritage.

If we want real freedom-- the kind embodying the principles laid out in the Declaration of Independence-- to survive for ourselves and our children, we all need to starve the rampaging beast that despises those principles and which is sustained by our individual timidity in the face of its self-serving and lawless demands.

Now, let's get to those (hopefully) stirring and inspiring words:

Continued...

A Couple Of Quick Comments On Current Topics Of Interest
...specifically, the anti-American character of EVs, and the illegality of punishing refusal to use "preferred pronouns".

LAST EDITION, I OPENED THE NEWSLETTER with a few words about the renewable nature of so-called "fossil fuels". This was prompted as a rebuttal for some of the misconceptions by which the adoption of electric vehicles (EVs) is being encouraged (along with even more insidious techniques such as artificially raising the price of gasoline by restricting the supply through executive actions such as shutting down pipelines and withholding drilling permits).

There's another point to make about the EV push: This technology involves a centralization-dynamic antithetical to liberty and the principles around which our American Constitutional and social structures are designed, and by which Americans became the most prosperous and most free people in world history (prior to the abandonment of the gold standard in monetary policy and the growth of the welfare/warfare state in the mid-20th Century).

HERE'S A CHALLENGE FOR EVERYONE: Explain to me the legal or moral difference between compelling a pretense of belief, or restraint from expressing disbelief, in a "transgender identity"-- such as by the use of "preferred pronouns", for instance-- and compelling a pretense of belief, or restraint from expressing disbelief, in "transubstantiation" (or any other religious or ideological dogma).

I can't see any difference, and I think by virtue of that fact any discrimination or other adverse consequence imposed on anyone for refusal to make such expressions or exercise such restraint in regard to the "transgendered" and the like in any workplace which is subject to state or federal civil rights laws is actionable.

Continued...

Other Voices (followed by an important afterword)

How Sex Became Gender
The modern denial of biology undermines an essential part of the human story.
by Robert Lynch

Jim Gaffigan has this joke about a scientist who mistakes the male seahorse for the female and then stubbornly refuses to admit his mistake after learning that the one he’d called the male is pregnant. It’s a funny bit, but it hinges on a common misunderstanding that sex designations are arbitrary.

The biological definition of males and females is entirely based on the size of the sex cells, called gametes, that they produce. Males produce the smaller gametes and females produce the larger ones. When scientists discover a new sexually reproducing species, gamete size is how they determine the sexes. In humans, males release between 200 and 500 million tiny sperm in each ejaculation while females have a lifetime supply of around 400, much larger, eggs.

This initial asymmetry in gamete size may not seem like a big deal, but it leads to a whole cascade of evolutionary effects that result in diverging paths for each sex, which we call sexual selection. If male and female bothers you, call them little and big, but regardless of what you call them, this foundational cell-sized difference in gamete size has profound effects on both evolution and behavior.

Sexual reproduction that involves the union of gametes of different sizes is called anisogamy, and it sets the stage for phenotypic differences between males and females. Robert Trivers laid down the basic argument, which he later described in biblical terms (“the scales fell from my eyes”), in one of the most cited papers in biology, when he wrote “What governs the operation of sexual selection is the relative parental investment of the sexes in their offspring.” This fundamental insight provides the framework for understanding the emergence of sex differences across all sexually reproducing species.

Continued...

Plus,
Illuminating Anniversaries For This Week!

"I confidently trust that the American people will prove themselves...too wise not to detect the false pride or the dangerous ambitions or the selfish schemes which so often hide themselves under that deceptive cry of mock patriotism: 'Our country, right or wrong!' They will not fail to recognize that our dignity, our free institutions and the peace and welfare of this and coming generations of Americans will be secure only as we cling to the watchword of true patriotism: 'Our country--when right to be kept right; when wrong to be put right.'"
-Senator Carl Schurz, October 17, 1899